Email below I received re: Heads Up Programme.
We were delighted to be successful in our recent application to the Department of Community and Youth Affairs, Q.C.B.I. Innovation Fund to develop a programme for young men aged 18-24 years in Kildare following a successful pilot earlier in the year. The aim of the programme is to support marginalised young men aged 18-24 years build positive futures and realise their full potential by providing a community based youth mental health programme. These programmes will be offered in Athy and Kildare Town (Phase 1).
When will it happen?
Phase 1 – 5 sessions, 1 day a week X 2 groups, September to October.
Phase 2 – 20 sessions, 2 days per week, October to December.
How will it be run?
Group work, individual 1:1’s, peer learning, sharing of stories, reflection, physical exercise, access to counselling supports and a range of creative arts etc.
What will the programme focus on?
4 key elements of Heads Up.
- Wellbeing & resilience.
- Life planning.
- Physical fitness.
- Social connection.
What are the programmes objectives?
To enable participants to:
- Develop skills, confidence and knowledge to support their mental and physical health.
- Build resilience.
- Access supports and services within their community.
- Make positive life choices.
- Develop strong protective factors that will enable them deal with what life brings.
- Create more positive future outcomes, including improved mental health, educational attainment, better parenting, reduce crime and positive coping strategies.
We are now taking referrals. The referral process is key to engaging young men and the role of the referrer/key worker is central. We will meet any young man who may be interested/unsure about the programme at your premises/other suitable locations within 7 days of receiving a referral/request from yourself.
Deirdre Bigley – Life Planning Coordinator – will be available on Tuesdays to meet potential participants. Please consider any young men you may know who might benefit.
Attached please find:
- A copy of our poster for the Young Men’s programme commencing the second week of September in both Athy and Kildare Town.
- A copy of the referral form.
- A copy of the dates for the programme in both locations.
If you have any questions or would like any further information please do not hesitate to get in touch.