Who qualifies for this scheme?
All Kildare County Council tenants who are up to date with their rent are eligible to apply.
What work is covered under the scheme?
The objective of this scheme is to assist Local Authority tenants to carry out improvement works on their home.
- Replacement of older gas/oil boiler with new high efficiency condensing boilers.
- Replacement of defective windows and doors which have not been replaced by Kildare County Council in the previous 5 years.
- Replacement of defective internal doors/press doors/hot press doors and skirting.
- Replacement of defective kitchen units (Minimum standard: MDF – teak faced)
- Repair or replacement of fascias and soffits.
- Installation of new storage shed.
- Replacement of boundary fence/wall.
- Installation of new room space heating stoves.
General Conditions of the scheme:
- Applications must be received on the official application form within the defined deadline.
- Applicants must have an up to date rent account.
- Only works carried out after the grant is offered will be eligible for payment.
- Invoices presented must be for the total cost of the works and must be VAT inclusive.
- All new installations must conform to the current Kildare County Council Specification.
- Improvement works which qualify for other schemes or departmental funding are not eligible under the Self Help Scheme.
- Tenants are responsible for the appointment of contractors and must ensure all appropriate documentation and competencies are in order.
- All applications will be subject to a site assessment by a technical officer of Kildare County Council to confirm the work is necessary and following completion to confirm compliance with grant.
- Three quotations must be included with each application from three registered contractors.
- Tenants are limited to one grant per year.
- Funding for this grant scheme is limited so it may not be possible to offer grants to all applicants.
- Kildare County Council, may, in exceptional cases consider works outside of those listed as qualifying works, if deemed appropriate to the scheme and in consideration of circumstances and need.
- Grants must be accepted within a defined timeframe. Where grants are not accepted within the specified period, the grant offer may be withdrawn.
Appointment of contractors
For the purposes of conformance with the Safety, Health & Welfare at Work Regulations; the tenant will be undertaking the role of “The Client” in terms of tendering and appointing competent contractors. All works must be carried out by competent tradespersons to the satisfaction of the tenant. All requisite plumbing and RECI certificates must be provided.
How much of a Self Help Grant can I get?
The amount of grant you may be offered will depend on the works involved. The Self Help Grant will not cover the full cost of the work.
Up to 90% of the works may be grant aided, however the maximum grant available is €2,500, and the tenant is liable for all costs which are in excess of above the grant approved.
Who organises to have the work done?
It will be a matter for the tenant to arrange to have the work tendered, carried out and certified.
Who pays the contractor?
It is the responsibility of the tenant to arrange payment to the contractor. Once work is completed the tenant will submit the invoice to Kildare County Council Housing Maintenance Department. Following inspection by a Kildare County Council Technical Officer to confirm the work has been completed the approved grant payment will be issued to the tenant by means of bank transfer.
Building Regulation Requirements
All proposed works must comply with the current Building Regulations.
If you have any further queries about the Self Help Scheme, please contact the Housing Maintenance Office at (045)980447 or (045)980562
Application forms should be completed and returned to Self Help Scheme 2018, Housing Maintenance Department, Level 5, Áras Chill Dara, Devoy Park, Naas, Co. Kildare, W91 X77F prior to close of business on or before Tuesday 10th April at 5.00 pm. Applications can also be delivered to the Customer Service Desk on Level 1.