What is RAS?

RAS is a new scheme for people who are in receipt of Rent Supplement for more than 18 months or who have been assessed by the housing authority as having a long-term housing need (excluding asylum seekers or other non-nationals who do not have leave to remain in the State permanently). The scheme will be administered by the housing authority and is intended to provide additional good quality rented accommodation for eligible persons to enhance the response of local authorities to meeting long-term housing need.

How do you apply to RAS?

RAS unit have put together a package containing information on RAS and a landlord / tenant questionnaire. Contact details – RAS Unit, Housing Dept., Kildare County Council, Aras Chill Dara, Devoy Park, Naas, Co. Kildare or email: ras@kildarecoco.ie – all details on our website: http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Housing/RentalAccommodationSchemeSocialLeasing/

What requirements / criteria does the landlord have to meet in order to qualify for RAS?

  1. Good quality accommodation, which is subject to an inspection by the HSE, Environmental Health Office;
  2. Tax Compliant;
  3. Property and tenant registered with the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB).
  4. Insurance for fire, theft, contents etc. for the property leased to the housing authority.
  5. Provision of a BER (Building Energy Rating) Certificate.

What benefit is it to landlords to engage in this scheme?

(a) Income stream for landlord whether property occupied or vacant;
(b) Housing authority act as agent and nominate tenants that have been interviewed and vetted. The landlord saves on the expense of advertising, engaging with agents for a fee and/or showing the property;
(c) Rent paid directly by local authority eliminating collection costs.

What requirements / criteria does the tenant have to meet to qualify for RAS?

  1. Assessed as having a medium to long-term housing need;
  2. In receipt of RS for more than 18 months and have a long-term housing need.

What benefit is it to the tenant engaging in the scheme?

(a) Accommodation is good in quality and location;
(b) Secure tenure;
(c) Opportunity to take up full time employment.

What duration will the lease be?

The lease period will be negotiated between the RAS unit and the landlord when all criteria has been adhered to and the landlord is happy to engage in the scheme. It can be for a minimum of 4 years (re/ Residential Tenancies Act, 2004) or more, as the case maybe. The lease will be administered on a case by case basis.

Can a landlord opt out of the scheme during the lease due to unforeseen circumstances or to sell the property?

Yes. As long as the reason to opt out of the scheme is stated in the Residential Tenancies Act, 2004.

If the property is damaged will the housing authority cover the cost of repair?

The housing authority will pay up to one months rent towards unnecessary damage to the property. House insurance is a requirement of the landlord to engage in RAS scheme.

When will the payments for rent be paid?

Rent will be paid to the landlord the end of every month.